Re: ebcdic and tpf patches

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:27:39 -0800

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 01:06:38AM +0000, David McCreedy wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 Mar 2006, Dan Fandrich wrote:
> >- Is it really necessary to provide callbacks for a user-supplied
> >conversion
> >routine? Can't you rely on libiconv to do the right thing and let the user
> >create a custom iconv conversion table if necessary?
>
> Yes. Some TPF users do not have iconv.
> Others may use a different conversion method for performance reasons.

I don't know what TPF is but assume it's some sort of IBM software layer,
so it's safe to say right now "All TPF users do not have curl". Making
iconv a requirement for them doesn't seem to me too onerous. If iconv is
really too slow for some use cases (and shouldn't it be optimized for the
EBCDIC to ASCII case on these platforms since it's so common?), then why
not have users implement their own optimized routines using the iconv API?
I don't (yet?) see the benefit of complicating libcurl and its API so that
users can supply an EBCDIC conversion routine at run-time.

>>> Dan