Re: ebcdic and tpf patches

From: David McCreedy <mccreedytpf_at_msn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:56:30 +0000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Dan Fandrich wrote:

>I don't know what TPF is but assume it's some sort of IBM software layer,
>so it's safe to say right now "All TPF users do not have curl". Making
>iconv a requirement for them doesn't seem to me too onerous. If iconv is
>really too slow for some use cases (and shouldn't it be optimized for the
>EBCDIC to ASCII case on these platforms since it's so common?), then why
>not have users implement their own optimized routines using the iconv API?
>I don't (yet?) see the benefit of complicating libcurl and its API so that
>users can supply an EBCDIC conversion routine at run-time.

TPF is a high volume transaction processing mainframe operating system
(http://www-306.ibm.com/software/htp/tpf/pages/hvtp.htm).

TPF's iconv, when present, has already been optimized, but there are limits.
Further performance gains are made using machine / assembly language code
that isn't compatible with iconv.

I think that libcurl is more portable if iconv isn't a requirement, which
might benefit other operating systems in the future.

But the decision isn't mine.

-David McCreedy