Re: ebcdic and tpf patches

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:44:25 -0800

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 01:58:13AM +0000, David McCreedy wrote:
> Here's the patch for the codeset conversion with optional use of iconv.
> The patch also has the curl_[un]escape to curl_easy_[un]escape change.
> And a few TPF-platform specific changes including the new file config-tpf.h.

I have a few comments after a quick read-through. I'm actually surprised at
how clean this patch is, considering the contorsions it's putting the data
through for such an oddball architecture. Does it properly convert user
specified data, such as the -H and -u options, too?

The #define select is pretty dangerous. Turning that into two function calls
is going to cause problems (e.g. for (i=0; i<RETRY; ++i) select(a,b,c,d,e);
won't do what you want).

The definition of unescape_elements() is still taking a void *data, not
CURL *data as Daniel suggested.

There's a #define VERSION in the config file that shouldn't be in a static
config file.

Do there really need to be two separate but equal definitions of
CURL_ICONV_CODESET_OF_NETWORK and CURL_ICONV_CODESET_FOR_UTF8?

The error message "conversion failed" is pretty generic; what kind of
conversion? Maybe it's good enough given that conversion is probably only
used in curl for this.

Aren't the global variables outbound_cd, inbound_cd and utf8_cd going to cause
problems in multithreaded programs? It looks to me like they could be
written to simultaneously by two threads.

How about making the non-printable ASCII '.' dot be a macro, to make it easier
to change on those platforms where another character might be more accepted
for the purpose?

>>> Dan