Re: "unknown compression method"

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:46:04 -0800

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 10:42:16AM -0500, Christopher R. Palmer wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what is going on with a problematic server. I
> sent an HTTP request including compression (--compressed) and it responds
> with perfectly normal looking headers:
>
> < HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> < Cache-Control: private
> < Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:37:54 GMT
> < Expires: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:36:48 GMT
> < Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0

You're probably running into the Microsoft IIS bug (discussed here several
times in the past) that sends compressed data with an invalid compressed data
header. It's so pervasive that many browsers look for this invalid data
and handle it. You can avoid deflate compression manually in your own
libcurl-using programs, or apply an experimental patch that was posted
to this list some time ago.

>>> Dan