cross-compiling the curl library for PPC?

From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:19:11 -0400 (EDT)

  once upon a time (on the main curl list), i was fighting with trying
to cross-compile curl and was having problems. i'm having to re-visit
that problem but, this time, i have much better handle on the
situation and have just a couple specific questions.

  i want to cross-compile for PPC, and i'm using the ELDK 3.1.1
toolchain for that, which works just fine. i want SSL support in curl
and, to that end, i've also cross-compiled openssl-0.9.8a, which is
where the tricky part comes in.

  i want the configure/build of curl to build against *that*
cross-compiled openssl, which will also be the openssl it will be
*running* against on the target board (but in a different location).
to me, that means i have to build curl keeping in mind that there are
*two* different locations i'm going to have to specify:

  1) the location of the cross-compiled openssl on my build system,
        which can be *anywhere* and will not have been "installed".
        it will be just sitting in a single directory, with the
        structure:

        /mybuilddir/
                libssl.so
                libcrypto.so
                include/openssl/
                        ... all header files ...

  2) the location of the cross-compiled openssl on the *target*
        system, which will be a standard system lib directory like
        /usr/lib, so i can let the linker handle that on the target.

  so, the question is, what is the incantation to configure/build curl
so that it builds against the openssl in that build directory but will
run properly on the target when those openssl libs are installed
elsewhere?

  my first guess is:

  $ CC=ppc_8xx-gcc \
    LDFLAGS="-L/mybuilddir" \
    CPPFLAGS="-I/mybuilddir/include/openssl" \
    ./configure --with-ssl

but my concern is that, since i just say "--with-ssl", it seems like
that would just look for the first install of openssl it could find
and might find the wrong one. i want it to find *specifically* and
*only* the one in /mybuilddir.

  thoughts?

rday