Re: cross-compiling the curl library for PPC?

From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:10:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > > If you want to play it the hard way,
> >
> > actually, that's not the hard way -- there's no other way to do it
> > if you're cross-compiling.
>
> No? Then I've must've been on drugs when I thought I did it... ;-)

if you did it without having to restructure the files in the openssl
build directory, then i suspect you were. ;-)

> > you can cross-compile openssl on your build system, but you
> > certainly can't do a "make install" since it's meaningless to
> > install that on your *build* system.
>
> If getting an install tree that you could use "the easy way" with
> curl's configure is meaningless, then yes. And I didn't say you have
> to run make install, you can still arrange the files the same way
> 100% manually with very little effort.

ok, so you *do* have to restructure those openssl files -- that's what
i needed to know. so, to clarify, there is no way to configure curl
by pointing it at an *unmodified* openssl build directory. fine. now
that i know that, i'll stop trying to do it.

and, lastly, what kind of structure is the configure script looking
for? i'm guessing a standard /usr, /lib, /include hierarchy? so that
if i said --with-ssl=/a/b/c, configure would expect

        /a/b/c/
                lib/
                        libssl.so
                        libcrypto.so