Re: cross-compiling the curl library for PPC?

From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:06:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > as a final attempt, i tried using the documented feature of
> > configuring with
> >
> > CPPFLAGS="-I<path to headers>"
> > LDFLAGS="-L<path to libs>"
> >
> > but that also failed
>
> Why? How? I've used this approach myself a large number of times.

it fails for the following reason. as i read it (and as i understand
my CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS), what the above does is add the relevant
directories to the header file and library search path.

it does *not*, however, guarantee that *those* are the directories
from which the header files and/or libraries will be obtained if those
same files are found earlier on the search paths. (which is, in fact,
exactly what happens if you're trying to cross-compile with ELDK
3.1.1.)

if the openssl header files and libs that you want to build against
are available somewhere on your build host in two different
directories, it is *not* sufficient to simply add those directories to
the appropriate search paths as above. all that does is set it up so
that those files *might* be the ones selected, not that they *will* be
selected. what's missing that would solve this problem would be the
equlvalent of:

  --with-ssl-libs=
  --with-ssl-headers=

which would *force* the selection of those files. see the difference?
that would effectively solve *all* of the problems we've been talking
about so far.

rday