Re: libcurl getaddrinfo(3) - Couldn't Resolve Host

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 23:49:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Sean Everson wrote:

> getaddrinfo (3) failed for ichart.finance.yahoo.com:80
> Couldn't resolve host 'ichart.finance.yahoo.com'
> Closing connection #0

> Based on the docs I can see that getaddrinfo is only used on machines that
> are IPV6 capable. I am running Fedora Core 4 with all the updates, but I
> have disabled IPV6 support as I don't need it.

Yeah, well that is not strictly true. We call it IPv6 support but you can
indeed use getaddrinfo() just fine even without IPv6 enabled.

> I recompiled curl 7.15.3 with IPV6 disabled (configure --disable-ipv6 ) and
> then recompiled AST. I still see the same errors.

--disable-ipv6 will make configure pick a gethostbyname_r() alternative
instead, and if you still get errors pointing out getaddrinfo() I would say
that you seem to have multiple instances of libcurl and you're not replacing
the one that errors for you.

> What are the proper steps for building curl to support only IPV4 and to use
> gethostbyname() exclusively?

Are you really meaning gethostbyname() explicitly, I mean without the _r ?