Re: backported patches and curl -V

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:52:38 -0700

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:40:06PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> I think it is a fair idea that certainly would be nice to users to allow
> them to see what differences there are between the stock version and the
> one they use.
>
> I figure that need to be a plain text for human consumption since it can
> then
> be basically anything depending on what package/distro/OS that would set
> it...

If there's going to be a text file to describe the patches applied to the
base source, then there really doesn't need to be a separate Patches: line.
If a packager modifies the source of curl version 7.15.3 (for example)
then (to be pedantic) it's really not version 7.15.3 any more and the
version string should be changed (e.g. to 7.15.3.apl2). This is already what
happens in the CVS version of curl. A user can look in the text file to
see what patches have been applied to 7.15.3.apl2.

>>> Dan