Re: [url open] open url in default browser?

From: Andre Krause <post_at_andre-krause.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 21:51:22 +0200

Dan Fandrich wrote:
> On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 05:41:33PM +0200, Andre Krause wrote:
>> Hello!
>> i already used curl with good success on http POST some data for
>> highscore uploading in my game ( http://www.gravytris.de ).
>>
>> does curl has a function to open a url in the systems default browser?
>
> Curl isn't involved at that level of operation. There's no cross-distribution
> way to reliably open the system default browser. Each distribution will have
> its own way that works. There is probably a standard way on Gnome systems
> and another on KDE systems. I've seen several distributions supply a script
> called htmlview that takes an URL as an argument and opens a browser; that
> would be a simple (but hardly foolproof) way that has a reasonable chance of
> success.

thanks for pointing that out. i think under these circumstances i will
try to avoid loading a site with the default browser. my idea was to
present an html input form where the gamer could add a picture and some
greetings to his highscore.
but now i will try to upload the picture with curl. seems that this
would be the much more portable way.