non-http pipelining (was Re: Anyone for HTTP Pipelining?)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:21:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Armel Asselin wrote:

> would it be feasible to have the stuff that you add 'protocol agnostic'?

Well, we can't write the code agnostic but we could possibly make the API
agnostic about the protocol. In fact, I don't forsee us add any pipelning API
that requires the pipe to be using HTTP(S).

> FTP can be pipe-lined also with some servers, the logic is the same.

What are you talking about? FTP is quite different and I don't know of any
standard (RFC959) or non-standard commands for FTP that offer anything near
pipelining as it works for HTTP 1.1. Please enlighten me!

> this pipe-lining is essentially what you described and nothing relies on
> HTTP in fact, it is just that 'it works'... and it can also with FTP
> servers. far from me to tell "just do it", but it would be cool to do the
> HTTP pipe-lining stuff keeping in mind that the infrastructure should not
> rely on HTTP itself.

In general we don't close doors for making options and concepts work for
multiple protocols and I don't have any plans to do it this time either. But I
also don't have any plans to write any code or designs for pipelining(-like)
functionality for non-HTTP protocols at this point.

If anyone else feels like adding support for that, then that person is free to
do so.

But again: I'm not aware of any other protocol libcurl supports that offers
pipelining.