Re: AIX 5100-06 autobuilds

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:46:09 +0000

On 8/14/06, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> I would say that it is a sign of one of the remaining bugs in the test suite:
> it tends to leave a test server (or two) running from time to time even after
> everything is shutdown. It can then cause this kind of trouble.

This is indeed the probable cause, unfortunately I'm on vacation and
can't check the machine
at the moment. Mostly the testservers tend to hang on the Tru64
system, but this sometimes
(not often, mostly in weekends or when I'm otherwise away..) also on AIX. On the
Tru64 box I run a kill-script that takes care of most, but not all of
the hangs, but as
it happens so rarely on AIX I don't run the kill-script there. Yet, anyway.

> This is in fact the main reason why I'm not running tests on a whole range of
> more machines. System administrators don't like left processes running bezerk
> and I've not had enough time to research and track down these problems.

Fortunately I admin (in the widest sense) almost all of the boxes I
autobuild on :-)
But there aren't really any problems affecting the systems even if
some testserver
hangs, in my experience. Usually its only effect is that a
non-reserved port is occupied,
and nothing else. Thus only the autobuild test suite itself tends to
be the only victim.

-Tor