Re: iis = dummy ftp ? Was: strange behaviour, data connection mix!?

From: Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 04:54:39 -0500

On 8/23/06, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Armel Asselin wrote:
>
> > as you can see, the FTP server proposes to two parallel connections to get
> > their data from the SAME port ! in this situation I'm pretty sure that the
> > connection will get bound randomly, hence the swap in some situations!
> >
> > so so, what to do? when using passive mode, should we find a way to enforce
> > connection of data socket before letting a new EPSV/PASV?
>
> Sounds like a very "clever" server implementation! ;-)

That's not the only thing IIS does that's kinda silly. I remember
reading that (some version of) IE & IIS don't bother with all that
pesky protocol setup stuff, IE just fires off a packet asking for the
page it wants. Any other web server would go "huh? who are you?", so
IE backs off and does the protocol setup. IIS reacts by sending the
page back, thereby making it *look* like the IE/IIS combination is
nice and speedy.

Instant rigged demo. Good, eh?

Ralph Mitchell