Re: Curl and CMake

From: Andy Cedilnik <andy.cedilnik_at_kitware.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:56:49 -0400

Hello Daniel,

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> You also need to take into account that the autotools are very well
> known and used in the open source community, so random hackers are
> often familiar enough with them to contribute to them easily. This
> also goes for me, as curl and libcurl maintainer. I've hacked
> configure scripts for over a decade, but I've never ever touched a
> CMake file.
>
> I don't want that to sound like I'm dismissing all new ideas or
> proposals, just that some things that are settled and work pretty good
> aren't really worth all the trouble to replace.

I agree with that. Why fix something if it works fine. That said, you do
have to maintain several build systems as is in order to have Curl
building on several platforms. So, in that case, it is not fixing the
build process, but the maintenance of the build process.

> Can you attach them to a mail and post so that we can see what they
> look like? We do have makefiles and other build files for a wide range
> of systems so I don't think it is a very far-out idea to add a few more.

Instead of attaching the CMake list file, I will point you to the latest
CVS of it:

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/cmcurl/CMakeLists.txt?rev=1.8&root=CMake&view=markup

I do want to warn you that this is only libcurl, it is old (7.12.1) and
using new features in CMake it can be significantly cleaned up. For
example, commands can be lower case, we can move TRY_COMPILE and TRY_RUN
system inspection into a separate file and so on.

Beyond this, there is the C file that contains all the extra try-compile
tests:

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Utilities/cmcurl/CMake/CurlTests.c?rev=1.1&root=CMake&view=markup

If you decide to put CMake list files into the repository, I would of
course clean them up and make sure whole Curl builds with them.

Thank you.

--
Andy Cedilnik
Kitware Inc.