RE: libcurl in LSB?

From: Camp, TracyX E <tracyx.e.camp_at_intel.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:11:14 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: curl-library-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se
[mailto:curl-library-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se] On Behalf Of Daniel Stenberg
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 1:51 PM
To: libcurl development
Subject: RE: libcurl in LSB?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Camp, TracyX E wrote:

> While I will not dispute that HTTP and FTP cover a goodly amount of
ground,
> the other part of LSB of course is convincing distributions to become
> compliant with it. I think it would be a hard sell to tell them that
they
> couldn't ship a libcurl without SSL just for LSB compliance reasons
(or
> possibly worse, they ship _two_ libcurls).

Right, but I don't understand how you can then add a libcurl with SSL
support
without providing the SSL lib that installed libcurl will need...

Because the top level application wouldn't directly link with SSL...
Only at runtime would the linkage occur. The LSB would state things
about the libcurl interface, not its runtime implementation details.

> So basically the issue is that for LSB we can not (currently) require
a top
> level application to link with ssl since it is not in the LSB, but it
is
> perfectly okay for the distribution supplied libcurl that exports LSB
> interfaces to be linked with ssl.

You mean its fine for distros to put a SSL-capable libcurl in there even
if
LSB really only has a SSL-disabled one?

No, I'm saying it would be fine for distros _and_ LSB to put a
SSL-capable libcurl in, so long as LSB applications that might use
libcurl do not have to put -lssl on their build-time link line. As I
said, this appears to be the case today, so its probably a non-issue.

>>> I noticed a note about distributions not including your curl-config
>>> tool

> > Well, we are not responsible for what distros do or how they decide
> > ship
> > curl and libcurl.

> I understand. I was trying to determine if in your opinion this is a
'bad
> thing', or just 'a thing that some people do'.

We introduced curl-config since there was a need for it, and there are
numerous libcurl-using application packages out there in the world that
now
use curl-config to detect details about libcurl installations (like from

within configure scripts), so yes I believe installing curl-config is a
good
thing.

I guess what I'm driving at, is this something that should be part of
the LSB development environment? Though the answers would never change
with the LSB version.

t.

--
  Commercial curl and libcurl Technical Support:
http://haxx.se/curl.html