PROT P for ftps://

From: Armel Asselin <asselin.armel_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:55:34 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying the following config: curl 7.15.6-20060821 with FileZilla Server
0.99

i'm using ftps://server/ style URL, however, it seems that libucrl assumes
that when using a this style of URL, the data connection is encrypted by
default (without telling PROT P to the server).
FileZilla Server seems to expect the contrary :(
if i remove the ssl[SECONDARYSOCKET].use = TRUE when "ftps" is detected in
the url.c:3082, everything works, but it may break some other
implementations for sure.

any idea of a good way to solve this?

I feel that we could always send the PROT P command even if the 'use' flag
is set, and simply ignore failures in this case. this way it would be
"always explicit" and servers which do not need or understand it but still
encrypt the data connection would not care (and hence continue to work as
currently)... the only problem would be with servers interpreting PROT P as
'do unencrypted', or server completely crashing the connection on PROT P
command, but I really do not think that any decent implementation would do
that.
does it seem correct?

Regards
Armel Asselin