RE: Multi threaded during simple get?

From: James Dennett <jdennett_at_technocom-wireless.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:49:23 -0700

[snip]

> My question is, do any of the lib curl api calls take
> advantage of any multi-threading during a simple get,
> to speed things up? Or is that too linear a process,
> and there's really no multi-threading it can do, one
> thing has to happen after the other.

It's almost inconceivable that splitting a single HTTP GET across
multiple threads could do anything to speed it up. I can imagine it
would usually make it slower though. (It's not supported by curl, I
think.) There's very little user-level CPU work involved in sending a
small GET request and then waiting for a response, and no apparent scope
for parallelization.

-- James