using curl with Borland C++ on windows

From: Rob McEwen (PowerView Systems) <rob_at_powerviewsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:55:17 -0400

RE: using curl with Borland C++ on windows

I've spent at least several hours trying to compile a simple C++ DLL using Borland command line (bcc32.exe) on windows. When not attempting to use CURL, I was able to get borland to compile the DLL and successfully used this DLL in a third pary program... so I know that my Borland installation is in good shape.

Next, I tried to compile OpenSSL and Curl... was able to compile OpenSSL (but with dozens of warning messages)... but couldn't compile Curl.

I was using the instructions on this page:

http://curl.haxx.se/docs/install.html

...and referenced several messageboard pages for answers.

After several hours of this and much frustration, I though, "Why not simply use the pre-compiled DLLs" listed near the bottom of this page:

http://curl.haxx.se/download.html

So I tried that, but still get an "unreferenced" error message. when I triy to compile the DLL.

Therefore, I have three questions:

(1) Does borland (bcc32.exe) on windows work with the "Win32 - Generic - libcurl" v. 7.15.4 build listed on that download page? Or is it required that these components be compiled by Borland in order to use then in C++ source compiled to a DLL by Borland.

(2) On that download page, what is the difference between the "Win32" builds and the "Win32 2000/XP" builds? Does it matter which one I use?

(3) Is there any kind of "step-by-step" instructions for setting up CURL for use within a simple C++ script if/when using the precompiled binaries?

Thanks!

Rob McEwen
PowerView Systems