Re: Curl library crashes with Norton Security Suite installed

From: Armel Asselin <asselin.armel_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:47:11 +0200

>> I am developing a client application that uses the curl library. This
>> application crashes when I have the Norton Security Suite installed.
>> Sometimes I get the message "cannot resolve hostname."
>
> Is that would you call a crash?
>
> Can you be a lot more specific when you say "crash" please. What exactly
> happens and what do the libcurl function(s) return?
>
>> But I cannot kill the process in the Windows TaskManager or using
>> TaskKill.
>
> I have no idea what libcurl could possibly do to achieve immortal status.
>
> Isn't there some tool available that can tell why it can't be killed or
> somehow explain what it is doing right now?
>
>> So I am wondering if there are any compatibility issues with the curl
>> library and internet security software that block outgoing internet
>> connections.
>
> Not that we are aware of, no. Blocked outgoing traffic should just cause
> name resolves or possibly connects to fail, and thus the entire libcurl
> operation to fail. With appropriate error code.
>
> I'd help us if you could dig a little deeper and give us more details,
> then perhaps we can sort this out together!
it reminds me of my resolve problem in multi when connecting to ftp (with a
random server name, in fact, the server name contained the password due to
the login/password I fixed some times ago) and remove the ftp easy handle
before resolution really happen: the internal FTP pointer struct was NULL
and it crashed my app...
maybe something similar? i.e. Norton maybe blocks resolution and when you
try to cancel and/or on error the Curl_???_done crashes as it did for me?

[I remember that I added a fix for that here in ftp, I wonder if I submitted
it...]

Armel