Re: RFC on sftp

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 22:27:11 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, James Housley wrote:

> Should I create an interface that uses the same basic commands, where
> appropriate, for sftp?

Personally, I would be happy with just being able to transfer files and to
list directories. I think no matter what we decide, it would make sense to get
that part working first anyway and then work on the rest.

> And simulate the responses? This is probably best because it would make it
> easier to use a different implementation.

If anyone feel a need to be able to provide custom commands in a style similar
to how we allow them tobe used with FTP, I can possibly imagine that we make a
FTP => SFTP conversion function so that we can use FTP commands for it, but I
don't think you'd need any code for converting the other way since we don't
expose that.

> Or should I just define the interface to be close enough to FTP that
> adaptation is reasonable?

Oh yes. My take is always to start out as simple and easy as possible, and
then we'll find out what people think and what users will end up wanting to do
and *then* we can add more features.