Re: Some questions regarding building libcurl with openssl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:00:36 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Tom Jerry wrote:

>> Personally, I wouldn't dream of writing software without makefiles.
>
> Personally, I prefer the dsp (easier to understand and has all the power of
> make files).

I have not met a single MSVC user that knows anything about the DSP file,
while many hackers who use Makefiles at least understand the basics. So since
"nobody" understands the DSP files they tend to always get re-generated by
every user for every project and then they're never done the best possible
way. At least I've never seen it happen in projects I'm involved in.

Also the fact that makefiles are universally available is a big factor to me.
If you learn to use makefiles, you'll manage find on just about all operating
systems with all compilers.

But of course, this is pretty much a personal taste issue and there's no
reason to argue over it.

> I would really like to have a dsp with several (4 or more) build options:
> a. release (no ssl)
> b. debug (no ssl)
> c. release with openssl
> d. debug with openssl
> Since there is no such project file maintained in CVS, I would create my
> own, based on the supplied curllib.dsp.

> Tell me if you think it may interest other people. If so, I can send it to
> you when I finish (this is the least I could do for you and the open source
> community).

The lib/curllib.dsp file gets generated, but sure if you can improve it to
become a better DSP then I would assume that many windows users will enjoy it.

Although I tought they/you use the lib/curllib.vcproj nowadays with the more
recent VC versions?