Side effect when no proxy is set

From: Guillaume Fraysse <gfraysse_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:35:26 +0100

Hello,

I've been using extensively libcurl in an application and encountered
what seems to be an "interesting" side effect.

I'm using the easy interface and use the same handler between
connections and when no proxy is set in my application no call is made
to curl_easy_setopt (CURLOPT_PROXY). After a random number of
downloads it seems that libcurl
somehow find that there is a proxy set and read it somewhere in the
memory which leads to the error CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_PROXY when
curl_easy_perform is done. There is somekind of memory corruption
occuring somewhere there it seems.

As a patch I forced my application to make set an empty string as the
CURLOPT_PROXY and the problem is gone.

I'm using a debian package of version 7.3.12. Has someone experienced
something similar ? Or am I missing something in the way libcurl
should be used ? Is this a known bug ? I haven't found a known similar
problem.

Regards,
Guillaume