Re: CURL_CA_BUNDLE and my confusion - need some feedback

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:27:24 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007, Guenter Knauf wrote:

>> Why is that a problem? Lots of stuff is missing in CVS but need to be
>> generated locally before you can do a proper build.

> because only one of the two files includes 'ca-bundle.h', and we need an
> additional define elsewhere which causes redefine warnings.

There are many kinds of systems/compilers. I'm not the one to dictate rules
for each on how to generate/create the ca-bundle.h file or the define it
contains, and I'm fine with it being done in whatever way.

> from what I see the only file which really includes the 'ca-bundle.h' is
> lib/url.c; and lib/easy.c does never get whatever is defined in
> 'ca-bundle.h'...

Oops, indeed a correct observation. That's a bug, and I fixed it.

> - remove the '#include <ca-bundle.h>' from url.c and trust it gets defined
> elsewhere.

Ok, you talk of two different things here. 1 - the build problem with the
define, and 2 - adding functionality to non-configure built libcurl.

1 - Removing the include would work for me, but I remember having problems
with getting the path properly generated in lib/config.h by configure which I
believe was the reason I created the ca-bundle.h file in the first place.

If you can make configure create it in lib/config.h, I would be totally ok
with that.

2 - Why would we want libcurl to get the system's cacert bundle from an
environment variable? Is there any application you know of that would benefit
from this? curl already does this kind of magic on its own and thus wouldn't.