Re: libcurl and Mac OS X

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:16:17 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Daniel Johnson wrote:

> OK, I've looked into this more closely. On 10.4.x, poll() is known not to
> work with devices. This is documented in the man page. I don't know enough
> to say if that's a problem for libcurl, but if libcurl DOESN'T call poll on
> devices then it should be safe to use.

My memory of this disabled poll is vague, so this made me check why we (I)
disabled it. CVS annotate showed me it was done in configure.ac 1.149. The
date of that commit is May 13 2005. On that date, Toby Peterson posted this:

   http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2005-05/0122.html

> I disabled the configure test "checking if we are Mac OS X (to disable
> poll)..." and built libcurl with poll enabled. All tests passed including
> 518 and 537. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to test.

I guess our test cases don't make the bug appear as described in the thread
above. And also I'm not sure if perhaps lib/select.c could be adjusted to
work, if the above given quirk is the only one that'll haunt us. It was easier
to just go with select()...