Re: ftp password and user-agent changes

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:15:46 +0100

On 12 Feb 2007, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> 1 - I want to change the default anonymous password for FTP (mostly because
> I'm fed up with people blaiming me for "hacks" and "attacks" done all over the
> world, only because that email address in there). What is a "good" password to
> use? I seem to recall that some servers check that the given password is/looks
> like a valid password and thus must be a valid domain/host name...

If they only check for proper string format, "anonymous_at_nosite.xyz"
could do the trick. If they require a valid TLD or even further a real
address, it is the user responsibility to provide a valid one.

> 2 - I want to set a default User-Agent string for libcurl's default HTTP
> requests. Of course applications' own will still override this.

Yep, for what CVS shows, for the last 6 years, curl has been using:

    snprintf(useragent, sizeof(useragent),
             CURL_NAME "/" CURL_VERSION " (" OS ") " "%s", curl_version());

So libcurl default, even if partially redundant, could be:

    snprintf(useragent, sizeof(useragent),
             LIBCURL_NAME "/" LIBCURL_VERSION " (" OS ") " "%s",
curl_version());

Just in case app using libcurl does not provide its own:

    snprintf(useragent, sizeof(useragent),
             APP_NAME "/" APP_VERSION " (" OS ") " "%s", curl_version());

Compatibility with other "things" is already addressed with curl's
command line options, the user can provide whatever is needed if
curl's default is not appropriate for him.

--
-=[Yang]=-