Sending arbitrary SFTP commands?

From: Nick Zitzmann <nick_at_chronosnet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:55:47 -0600

I Googled for an answer and came up empty...

Short question: Is it possible to send arbitrary SFTP commands using
libcurl, and if so, how?

Long question: I'm using libcurl to delete files over WebDAV and FTP.
On WebDAV I set CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST to "DELETE", and on FTP I set
CURLOPT_POSTQUOTE to an slist containing the DELE FTP command. But
SFTP is a binary protocol, so I suspect those two approaches won't
work on an SFTP connection. So how do I send a delete command over
SFTP, and for future reference, how do I send any arbitrary command
over SFTP? Or is this even possible?

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>