Re: Patch to add Amazon AWS authentication

From: Mark Atwood <me_at_mark.atwood.name>
Date: 23 Apr 2007 13:34:49 -0700

Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> writes:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2007, Mark Atwood wrote:
>
> > I've written a patch for Amazon AWS authentication, in the same
> > spirit as Digest, GSSAPI, and NTLM authentication.
>
> Cool! Before I review the actual code, I have a few questions:
>
> 1 - Is there a document somewhere that describes this auth method in
> detail? All I've found so far is very verbose descriptions without
> specific syntax details.

There is.
http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?externalID=123&categoryID=48

> 2 - "Amazon" in the name sounds very Amazon-specific. Is there anything else
> besides Amazon that uses this?

It is at present just Amazon. Tho I've been noodling around writing
an Apache module that implements the server side.

In it's defense, the patch is pretty small, and I believe that Amazon
AWS is going to get big. And having it in libcurl will make more
people use it.

> 3 - Can you please provide at least some test cases as well that make sure
> that the basic AWS functionality is there? I figure some of the existing
> tests for other auth methods should work as good examples/input on how to
> write them.

I will do that. The tricky bit is that since AWS transfer is not free
(20c/GiB), someone will need an AWS account to run the test.

> 4 - I didn't see anything in the code that made sure that OpenSSL is enabled,
> so I'm quite sure it'll fail if you build without it. Right?

I think I check for OpenSSL in the configure.in, but I will review
that part.

--
Mark Atwood                 When you do things right, people won't be sure
me_at_mark.atwood.name         you've done anything at all.