Re: Official web based forum?

From: Mohun Biswas <m_biswas_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:28:33 -0400

Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>> I'd be interested in having an official web based forum for curl and
>> libcurl
>> issues/discussions. Some people (weirdly enough) just don't like mailing
>> lists.
> I can understand that because for working with mailing lists you need to have:
> - a separate email account
> - a very good mail filter system

I use another open-source tool called hsqldb which has both a mailing
list and a support forum via sourceforge. I find it quite irritating
because I live in fear of missing something important on the forum so
have to remember to visit it every day or two. With a mailing list or
newsgroup I can go away on vacation and not worry.

I don't know if it's a reasonable alternative or not but I read and
occasionally post to this list by treating it as a newsgroup via the
gmane gateway (news.gmane.org). This means no separate email account, no
issues with spam filters, with very convenient threaded access. And
gmane allows me to hide my email address to protect it from spam harvesters.

MB