Curl Embedded Linux

From: Chris Brown <christopherbrown_at_paradise.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:49:42 +1200

I am new to this forum aswell as libcurl and linux.

I downloaded curl-7.16.2 which I managed to compile into libcurl.a by
following instructions in the 'cURL-How to Compile' document i.e

./configure
make
make install

I then successfully referenced this library in the makefile for my own test
application based on simple.c. The problem I have is that I am attempting to
repeat this process on my MIPS embedded MontaVista Linux system which uses
mips_fp_le-gcc. When I run ./configure I get the following output:

sed: invalid command
sed: invalid command
checking for sed... /bin/sed
checking for ar... no
configure: WARNING: ar was not found, this may ruin your chances to build
fine
checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... no
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking curl version... 7.16.2
checking build system type... mkdir: Cannot create directory
`/tmp/cg678-5572':
No such file or directory
mkdir: Cannot create directory `/tmp/cg-678': No such file or directory
config.guess: cannot create a temporary directory in /tmp
configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one

Can anyone offer any suggestions or point me in the right direction? My
ultimate intention is to use https posts so I will also need to ensure that
SSL is working. Please excuse my naivity- as I mentioned above I'm new to
Linux and its a steep learning curve at the moment.

Thanks