Re: round-robin DNS crap

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:26:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> If libcurl uses its own randomizer, then it will effectively ignore the
> host's preferences as expressed in /etc/gai.conf. That may be desired in
> many cases, but I'm sure it should be the default behaviour.

I agree that we need to consider the default action properly, but I have
access to a lot of machines and I don't know of anyone who ever modified their
/etc/gai.conf file and I would argue that most admins don't know that this is
needed or even how to do it, just to get tools like curl to access *remote*
round-robin DNS sites "properly".

It would be very interesting to hear what the people putting together
(lib)curl for distros think about this.