RE: FTP to VMS

From: <vms_curl_at_kuhrt.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:42:37 -0700

> When attempting to download a file from VMS using the cURL library we
> get the Error 18: Transferred a partial file
>
> Is this related to know bug 22? See below:
>
> 22. Sending files to a FTP server using curl on VMS, might lead to curl
> complaining on "unaligned file size" on completion. The problem is
> related
> to VMS file structures and the perceived file sizes stat() returns. A
> possible fix would involve sending a "STRU VMS" command.
> http://curl.haxx.se/bug/view.cgi?id=3D1156287
>
> Otherwise, what must I do to get past the error?

Check to see if it really is an error. It might be that the file
transfered OK, but the byte count didn't match what it thought it
should be. The problem with FTPing to or from VMS is most of the
other file systems don't get most of the builtin file types in VMS.
With the exception of straight text and binaries, most OSs don't know
what to do with the "odd" file formatting.

What type of file were you trying to transfer?

Oh, and STRU VMS won't help. It's not supported in the cURL code.
I looked at putting that support in at one time, but it doesn't
really mean much outside of VMS systems. STRU VMS means that the
VMS file structure info will be sent along with the file and if
the receiving system understands it, it will use that info to fix
the file structure accordingly. In the world of "files are just
streams of bytes", the well defined record structures built into
VMS are not easy to support or emulate. STRU VMS would only help if
you were transfering from VMS to VMS, and if you were doing that you
could use the FTP packages built into the IP stacks anyway.

Regards,
Marty