Re: accessing libcurl from activestate perl

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:04:47 -0700

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 04:03:42PM -0700, Munther Khatib wrote:
> 1. Does anyone know if Activestate perl supports
> libcurl?

Yes--but only on Darwin right now, it seems. See the status page at
http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8-W.html

> 2. Are there any clear instructions on installing
> WWW::CURL on windows machine that has Active State
> perl on it.
> I downlaoded the makefile.pl on CPAN but it seems to
> be pointing to a curl install on unix.
>
> according to site you have to run this:
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test # NEEDS CONFIGURATION - see note below
> make install
>
> But the first command results in:
>
> curl-conig is not recognized as an internal or
> external command
> cannot find curl.h

That's the same error message that shows up on ActiveState's failure log
for most platforms. That could be explained if Darwin is the only OS that
includes libcurl and its development package by default. ActiveState
probably needs to install libcurl and libcurl-devel on all its build
platforms to fix that.

The archive says "The maintainer has never tried to run this on
windows, so all feedback welcome.", but the Makefile.PL does have some
Windows hooks (e.g. try putting the curl header files into
C:\INCLUDE\CURL\CURL\ and libcurl.lib into the current directory).
You might actually be able to get it working without a lot of trouble.
The module hasn't been updated in 2 years, though, so I don't know how
much support you'll get from the author.

>>> Dan