Re: libcurl versus JAVA performance

From: Robert Iakobashvili <coroberti_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:35:57 +0200

Hi Kjell Ericson,

On 7/24/07, Kjell Ericson <Kjell.Ericson_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> > The JAVA fans were confident, that the modern JDK 1.5 JAVA has at least
> > the same if not better performance.
>
> This "argument war" will continue because C-people and Java-people talks about
> different sides of the issue. Java is never faster if:
> * The processor is known when compiling a program.
> * The program doesn't loop around in the same code so the optimisation is
> gained after the JIT.
>
> > If somebody on the list has benchmarked or tried HTTP and HTTPS both with
> > JAVA and libcurl based implementations?
>
> I doubt that benchmark exist. But you can always read this page:
> http://www.kano.net/javabench/

Thank you for the link.

> But telling the Java fans this will not convince them. For each and every
> program will they find one small "advantage" for Java that will make Java much
> better than every other programming language (mostly because Java fans don't
> know any other language :-).

This is not the case. Dealing with some great people with a profound knowledge
of assemblers C/C++ as well as java at the server side.

I am looking for some really solid data and benchmarking results or personal
experience.
Could it be the the great people of Sun and IBM have optimized so good
HTTP and TLS/SSL stacks in JDK?

--
Sincerely,
Robert Iakobashvili,