RE: LDAP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:16:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Guenter Knauf wrote:

> the new LDAP stuff breaks NetWare LDAP support since I cant include the
> NetWare ldap headers due to incompatiblities. Unless we can keep the old
> dynaload stuff (which worked fine) as alternative code, I'll have to disable
> LDAP for the future (which I did already to keep the autobuilds compile).

Dynamically loading libraries are a lot harder and was already broken as it
was written, on most platforms. The reasons included that dlopen()ing the lib
didn't take sonames into account properly so at any time an openldap update
could break a curl install, and the way it worked it required openldap devel
packages installed on systems while only a run-time lib should've been needed.

This said, I'm fine with the old approach brought back for the particular
platforms that for whatever reasons can't use this new approach.

In the end, LDAP has never been a major protocol for (lib)curl...