Re: LDAP

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 23:48:25 +0200

Hi,
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 09:48:07PM +0200, Guenter Knauf wrote:
>> the new LDAP stuff breaks NetWare LDAP support since I cant include the
>> NetWare ldap headers due to incompatiblities. Unless we can keep the old
>> dynaload stuff (which worked fine) as alternative code, I'll have to
>> disable LDAP for the future (which I did already to keep the autobuilds
>> compile).

> Whose to blame for those incompatibilities? Novell? OpenLDAP? curl?
Novell. All the times they got never sorted developer stuff properly.
All the past years the NetWare platform was in constant development, but there were independent groups inside Novell who did each their own thing.
We have on NetWare two different kernel architectures running side by side: CLIB (old one) and LIBC (new and mostly posix-compatible, and fully multi-processor-aware). Both support BSD-like socket stuff, and Winsock, and the later has even build-in SSL encryption. LDAP support is done based on the Winsock stuff, and the headers cant be mixed with BSD-socket headers like sys/socket.h; you get a bunch of redefines when you include winsock.h at same time.
Also I've been told that its not allowed to mix up BSD sockets with WS2 sockets; and I was really suprised that the dyna-import worked well on NetWare after you did fix it about 2 years ago....

So the only solution to fix that now from curl side would be if I go extending the builds so that I can build with WS2 sockets, then it _should_ be possible to include the LDAP headers; however that would require lots of changes at various places in the libcurl sources....
Currently I really dont have the time to look into that; and even if I would - at least I would then loose Ipv6 (not a big deal though - seems we get never onto using it...,hehe) since Novell forgot about IPv6 with the Winsock stuff (which was in at some time - but I never got my hands on the headers for that!!). So in the past I concentrated on a BSD port, and fixed OpenSSL to build with BSD sockets properly for both CLIB and LIBC.

It was just a nice gift that curl did work with LDAP since Novell's eDir is fully accessable through LDAP, and it helped me a couple of times to access eDir with (lib)curl.

Guen.