Re: Windows library is intermittent?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:19:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Cary Fitzhugh wrote:

> The issue is that for putting files through ftp, sometimes the program works
> fine. Sometimes it doesn't.

[...]

> I don't know if it really fails, it just sits there, waiting for something
> to happen I think. I don't know if the different curllibs make any
> difference. I would think, by version 7.16, the ftp code is pretty stable,
> so it may just be a red herring I'm looking at.

I too would say that the ftp code is pretty stable, and the fact that we have
a vast amount of users and nobody else have reported this also add to my
belief.

I would rather blame factors outside of libcurl. Your code, your network, your
windows or similar. Can you start by running with VERBOSE enabled, or possibly
even using DEBUGFUNCTION to figure out exactly at that point it happens, and
if it even happens at the same point every time? And if you figure this out,
check the ftp server logs for the same action and also consider wireshark'ing
the network while this happens (or similar tool) to properly pinpoint which
host that does or doesn't do what when.

> Our code isn't a problem I don't think, since we have the same copy of the
> code running on a linux box, and that has transferred things w/o a glitch.
> And the code hangs in the same place in curl every time.

Well, inside libcurl it is also (basically) the same code running for both
linux and windows...

> I don't know if anyone has any experience with something like this. We're
> running against an apache server.

Apache ftp server? Surely not?

> I'm hoping someone has an idea or a clue as to why it's just sitting there
> w/o transferring anything. Some blocking code race condition? I'm not
> sure...

If you could show us a full source code of what you use to repeat this
problem, we could probably help out more.