Re: Kicking out the HTTP-like responses from FTP?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:57:48 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Dan Fandrich wrote:

>> Yes, this is a minor ABI change but I won't bump the soname anyway since I
>
> I'm not so sure about this one. If I were an application author who
> depended on this feature, I'm be pretty upset if the soname were *not*
> bumped. Upgrading libcurl shouldn't cause a properly-written application to
> start failing. If you don't want to bump the soname again (and I
> agree--it's really annoying), I would suggest adding this to the TODO file
> and doing it once a soname change is unavoidable for other reasons.

Yeah, good point and a fair suggestion... I'll add notes in the code and add a
TODO...

> However, isn't this HTTP-like header behaviour on ftp something that was
> just recently enabled due to an unrelated bug fix? My opinion on fixing it
> now may change if that's the case.

No, it was added a long time ago (the origins are present in lib/ftp.c 1.1
dated Wed Dec 29 1999...). It only appeared somewhat more often now due to a
recent bug fix. Test 141 has verified this functionality since April 2003.