Re: Proxy support - Mac and Windows

From: Matthew Veenstra <matts_lists_at_tribalmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:44:07 -0700

        Daniel,

We need to have it since we are shipping consumer applications and
they just need to work as best as possible. We do only need Mac and
Windows, so I don't know much on how various linux distros store this
kind of information.

Retrieving the system data on mac and windows is quite easy and only
a few pages of code. This can be just source code or a library. I
guess the library helps to solve link errors users who try and build
it most likely will have.

Determining if a .pac file exists and using this is a big job to do
properly. If we do this, we will most likely use the local
javascript engine on the users machine to parse this. So on Windows
we would use IE, on the Mac we would use WebKit, and for
compatibility and embedded systems we would implement the same thing
in SpikerMonkey. If we decide we can accept the 1mb of code for
spidermonkey in our application we may consider just using and
embedding this.

Has anyone considered implementing the autoproxy part before? I just
no know way but to use a full javascript engine to do this properly.

We will start on the code, and when we have something report back to
the list with a sample. I am not sure when we will do this, but
probably in the next month or two.

Matt Veenstra
tribalmedia