Re: Odd Perl Issue

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 16:51:46 -0700

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 07:56:04PM -0300, Jonathan Freedman wrote:
> Seeing some interesting behavior with libcurl on Perl on a unix
> environment. Have developed several apps that use GET with curl/perl, and
> just started porting our system to a new environment where POST is the
> rule. Our application has a RESTful interface, and the nature of the
> application is that I am constantly hammering it with requests.
> Occasionally, and only on certain URL's, curl will hang as it connects.
> Strace tells me that it is waiting for a read() on fd0 (STDIO), wheras the
> curl file handle is fd4. If I switch back to the console where the
> application is running, it will hang until I send EOF (ctrl-d) to the app.
> Then it continues along it's merry way.

What version of libcurl and the perl interface are you using? What kinds
of URLs are you using, i.e. SSL or not?

> This is blocking issue for me, and I would like to get it resolved. If
> nobody can think of anything for me to think off the top of their heads I
> will try to distill this down into a smaller test case and post the code to
> the list. The only other 3rd party thing involved in this perl module is
> XPath.

I recall a bug in libcurl not too long ago that involved OpenSSL trying to
use the incorrect socket handle. I don't remember the details, but it
might be related to what you're seeing. Try using the latest released
libcurl if you aren't already.

>>> Dan