Re: LDAP and cURL related

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 03:58:24 +0200

Hi Yang,

> POINT ONE)

> First of all, I propose to get rid of winldap from _any_ build that
> isn't a Windows target native build. In other words don't use winldap
> for Cygwin builds.
+1; I already proposed that + introduced that winldap is only used as last resort - but I totally agree that we should drop the winldap support completely = remove the HYBRID stuff.

> POINT TWO)

> I propose that Windows native builds of libcurl should be allowed to
> use the LDAP lib of choice, not just winldap.
+1, and I introduced this already partly -- in fact that is already possible with MingW, but not applied yet for MSVC.

> POINT THREE)

> Mostly questions related with platforms that have autoconf tool chain
> or at least that are capable of running a configure script.

> Would it be possible to pass to configure in option --with-ldap just
> the path of the LDAP librariy to use and let configure find out the
> complete name of the libs to use in a similar way as the check for
> libssh2 is done right now ?
I think it is - but you might know that 'my' platform is originally NetWare, and this usually is cross-compiled on Win32 without autoconf, so my autoconf knowledge is very poor; so any help with this greatly appreciated.

> Besides the suffixes for the LDAP libraries, which other names do ldap
> libraries have besides 'lber' and 'ldap' ?
for Win32 / Linux it is currently technically possible to build with NovellLDAP, OpenLDAP, and Netscape / Mozilla / Sun, the later however is not yet implemented from ldap.c code.

> POINT FOUR)

> MSVC compilers, versions and SDKs supported, deserve a future
> thread but I think we should solve point one and three before
> dispersing too much.
hua.....

Guenter.