Re: Binary or control characters in test files

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:44:56 -0700

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 11:35:54AM +0200, Patrick Monnerat wrote:
> A full byte bunch encoded in base64 is perfectly unreadable (by a
> human): I just would have some kind of "escape" for special characters
> among many printable characters. For that purpose and if no escape
> mechanism is available, I would prefer having "quoted-printable" (RFC
> 2045 page 19) rather than "base64".

True, but the test data is meant for the test suite--it's seldom that people
are going to read it themselves. And the output files in the log/ directory
will be decoded and human-readable.

OTOH, it would be nice to support XML entities to fix the embedded CR problem
and make all the test files true XML. But that means writing an XML entity
parser for both perl and the C servers, although if the files were true XML
then we could use existing XML parsers.

>>> Dan