Re: CVS test files format

From: Matthew Veenstra <matts_lists_at_tribalmedia.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:15:27 -0700

        Hello,

On Oct 20, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 03:31:33PM +0200, Patrick Monnerat wrote:
>> I noticed that all tests/data/test* files are of type text/ASCII
>> in CVS,
>> except:
>> test15
>> test16
>> test17
>> test103
>> test104
>> test105
>> test106
>> test107 that are binary.
>>
>> Is there a reason for this non-othogonality ? If not, I think they
>> should be
>> all the same format, either text or binary. This will allow a
>> possible use of
>> conversion tools to process them as a batch.
>
> Some of those files have characters > 127, but that's not good
> enough a
> reason to mark them binary (even if CVS did that itself). As far as I
> understand CVS' binary/text distinction, they should all be text.

We deal with a lot of binary files in our CVS and my recommendation
for cross platform/tool support is to use binary in a case like
this. This guarantees file integrity at the expense of easy diff'ing
and merging/updating. These files do not change much so I don't see
a big drawback here.

Maybe there are cases where we want curl to test each platform with
text in native line feeds, but in those cases I think we are better
off to have a test case for each line feed option from, Unix, Mac, to
Win and put those on the CVS as a binary file and have curl handle
all of them as needed.

I cannot see the drawback to using binary here (other than changing
them on the CVS is a pain), but maybe I am missing something.

Cheers,

Matt Veenstra
tribalmedia