Re: sftp support in libcurl

From: Wei Weng <wweng_at_kencast.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:18:11 -0500

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Wei Weng wrote:
>
>> Is the SFTP referred by curl_easy_setopt manual page "FTP Options
>> CURLOPT_QUOTE" SSH file transfer protocol or Simple File Transfer
>> Protocol?
>
> The SSH one. I don't think Simple File Transfer Protocol is in much
> use anywhere...
>
>> The page says "The valid SFTP commands are: chgrp, chmod, chown, ln,
>> mkdir, pwd, rename, rm, rmdir, symlink.". I searched through the
>> draft SSH file transfer protocol rfc, but couldn't find anything
>> related to that. That is why I am asking the question. :)
>
> I believe we've taken some inspiration and ideas from OpenSSH in that
> we use the command names they use.
>
> But the commands are indeed in the "standard" (quotes since it is not
> yet an RFC). The most recent draft I can find is here:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-13

This comment "confirmed" with my suspicion. :)

SFTP is a binary protocol, so we don't send text commands to
the server. Instead, we scan for commands for commands used by
OpenSSH's sftp program and call the appropriate libssh2
functions.

IMHO, it would much clearer if we can *also* send binary command (e.g.
CURLOPT_SFTP_CMD_CHGRP, CURLOPT_SFTP_CMD_CHOWN) as part of the API,

Thanks

Wei