Re: automatically appending ;type=<a|i> when using http proxies for ftp urls?

From: Michal Marek <mmarek_at_suse.cz>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:03:55 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Anyone with a suggestion on a naming for this new option, or any other
> heuristics to use to know when to use this appending? Trying to figure
> out what proxy that's in use and base the decision on that feels like an
> error-prone and rather ugly way...

I'm affraid heuristics are not going to work here, because you first
issue the GET / PUT request and then receive the headers. And f.i. squid
(the proxy known to work) doesn't even insert any headers unique to
squid AFAICS. And basing heuristics on the proxy's port number is
just... not going to work either. So I fear we need to make it
configurable from the application :-/

Michal