Re: Using new Visual C++ 2008 and Windows SDK

From: Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_loskot.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 01:59:24 +0100

Yang Tse wrote:
> 2007/12/18, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>> [...] As I've explained on my blog and
>> announced here in my previous post, there are two different cases to handle:
>>
>> 1. Windows Vista + Visual C++ 2008 + Windows SDK
>> -> libcurl built with use of WSAPoll
>>
>> 2. Windows XP (or Windows Server 2003) + Visual C++ 2008 + Windows SDK
>> -> libcurl built using old non-WSAPoll implementation
>
> In the end the matter is that MSVC 9.0 (VS2008) does not support
> Windows build targets prior to WinXP, and makes wrong assumptions of
> build target when it isn't specified.

Yes, that's the crux of the problem.

> So, if no build target has been
> defined we will target WinXP when building with MSVC 9.0 (VS2008).

That seems to be the best solution.

> The change has already been committed to CVS and it will also be
> available in the December 19, 2007 snapshot here
> http://cool.haxx.se/curl-daily/
>
> Could you verify if it is Ok for you ?

I've tested CURL from CVS and everything works well.
I generated Makefile.vc9 with sed (from GnuWin32) as defined 'vc' target
in Makefile.dist and tested two builds:

cd lib
nmake -f Makefile.vc9 CFG=release
nmake -f Makefile.vc9 CFG=debug

Both produced libcurl with success.

Then I build GDAL library (I refer to it in my blog post, dependncy
walker screenshot), link against the new libcurl binary and every works
very well. No WSAPoll or ws2_32.dll dependency has been added.

Thanks for the fix!

Cheers

--
Mateusz Loskot