Re: HTTP pipelining question

From: Robert Iakobashvili <coroberti_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:24:01 +0200

Daniel and Dmitry,

On Dec 27, 2007 1:51 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Dmitry Kurochkin wrote:
>
> > So if I add 4000 easy handlers to multi with pipelining enabled and
> > start multi_perform loop, I am sure that even if server does not
> > accepts pipelining, all files will be downloaded sequentially.
>
> Yeah... but 4000 is an extreme amount that I bet not that many apps use,
> and
> those who get 8 files may possibly often prefer to get them as fast as
> possible rather than to just use one connection?
>
> I'll admit this is where I'm starting to get vague since all of this is
> theories and concepts to me only, I don't really author any apps like this
> myself. I suppose the potential future option I mentioned could be a "max
> number of simultanoues connections to the same host" that would make the
> 4000-files app use no more than that amount in case pipelining fails (for
> whatever reason).

4K is normal, even 100 K is normal.
jm2c....

It could be even 2 parameters with max number of connections:
- one is for pipelining mode;
- another, is a fallback number, when pipelining mode does not work;
However, this is nice to have.

Sincerely,
Robert Iakobashvili,
coroberti %x40 gmail %x2e com
http://curl-loader.sourceforge.net
An open-source web testing and traffic generation.