Re: javacurl

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:20:48 +0100

Hi Patrick,

> One of my collegues needs to do FTP + SSL from Java and I directed him
> to use curl via the javacurl binding.

> It appears this binding has not been maintained (on sourceforge) for
> about three years :-( Although advertised on curl.haxx.se, this package
> seems dead, thus useless.
huh? so everything what is older than few months is then useless?
Cant understand your oppinion here...

> I know almost nothing about Java (and I have to say I don't like it at
> all !), so I can't help more. My collegue knows very few about C and
> JNI.
probably that's the prob. JNI is a low-level binding, and thus the Java binding is as good as it was three years ago since it relies entirely on libcurl. Furthermore there's everything in the package IIRC so that you can update the package self for playing with latest libcurl.
I've compiled it last last year in spring - give me till tomorrow, and I can provide an up-to-date package to you which compiles against latest libcurl.

> P.S.: Daniel, I would suggest you put an obsolescence note on the
> javacurl binding web page, to avoid other java programmers losing their
> time...
that's not needed - most Java programmers read docu about JNI, and are able to update that self.
Look, I'm everything else than a Java programmer, and I can do it too - and that's only because I have compiled a bunch of JNIs for Java coders who asked me for that because they didnt have the commercial compiler which was needed for their bindings.

Guen.