Re: connection reuse with proxies and ssl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 00:03:30 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Gautam Kachroo wrote:

>> It seems that for a unpatched version the connection is re-used fine in the
>> test (which means the connection is re-used when the connection is not in
>> ssl_connection_complete yet), while the patched version refuses to reuse that
>> connection then.
>
> That makes sense since test 509 changes the url in the middle of the
> ssl connection process. The connection for the first url is never
> fully initialized. With the check for ssl_connection_complete, that
> connection won't be re-used. The problem is why using a new connection
> would cause problems.

Well, as far as I remember this, the whole idea behind this particular test
case is taken from a real-life use case. The actual URL to get is then
received in the certificate somehow, so the redirect is really meant and
supposed to be done on the same connection. I guess the reason then it has
reached the complete SSL connection state is that it gets the certificate and
thus the new URL etc before the entire negotiation is complete!

The question is of course what to do about this situation. Do we stop allowing
the method used in test 509 or do we somehow allow it and make sure that the
re-used connection's SSL connection is continued to the complete state? Or is
there any other alternatives?

Either way, this gives me the feeling we won't have a solid and tested
approach completed by tuesday so I think we can safely say that this fix will
go in after 7.18.0 is released.