Re: Crash in curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:29:24 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Andreas Volz wrote:

>> What if you try 7.18.0, does that show the problem as well?
>
> It's not so easy to replace a system component like curl on Ubuntu if not
> included in the distribution.

Oh it certainly is very easy.

Build libcurl and install it somewhere brand new:

./configure --prefix=/home/me/test-curl-install
make
make install

Then you rebuild your application to use the temporary install path and you
test your application to see if the problem persists.

(and when you're done testing, you can just whipe the entire test install dir)

>> Seeing you run on Linux, have you tried running your app with valgrind?
>
> Yes, but no error is reported while using valgrind. I simply see a segfault
> and nothing else. No error summary from valgrind. It looks as if valgrind
> dies too. I tested my valgrind installation with various other tools and it
> works. I don't understand it.

Well, that would rather indicate that there's no memory problem crazy enough
for valgrind to trap, but possibly a memory error crazy enough to crash
libcurl.

Anyway, if you can repeat this with 7.18.0 I think your next step would be to
try to make a stand-alone application that can repeat this problem, or if
that's not possible try to narrow down what usage patterns that cause the
problem.