Re: my downloads

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 05:01:34 +0100

Hi Daniel,
> We have a range of people already doing this, and we have an 100%
> automatic
> system that allows you to upload "your" packages (with curl of course!
> ;-))
> and they will appear on the download page and mirrors with no human
> intervention just minutes after the upload.
that sounds easy enough, and I contact you hopefully soon privatly for making this a go, mainly also for mirroring.

>> but for now just link to my site, that's ok - if my ISP starts crying
>> then I come back to you...

> Sure, I'll have no problems with that - I doubt the traffic will become
> any
> problem. Just two things that struck me about your page
> (http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/):

> 1 - the title says they are packages for NetWare and that is bound to
> cause
> confusion for windows people
certainly! I've just made a first attempt to make things a bit clearer:
http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/netware/
http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/win32/
please adjust at least the NetWare directory on the download page now.

> 2 - it's not 100% clear to me what the different packages are, and thus
> what specific win32 packages I can mention on the curl download page!?
yes, also true.
curl-7.18.0-ssl-sspi-zlib-static-bin-w32.zip means that this package includes a curl statically linked with libcurl, and in future also with all dependent libs to make the curl commandline really standalone (currently it might be that the SSL libs are not yet statically linked since I made the makefile changes after 7.18.0 IIRC). Then the rest is clear I think: with SSL, with SSPI, and with zlib; and a libcurl.dll is included too.
I'm thinking though instead of the -w32 suffix I should better use -mingw32 as I did already with the devel package....
The problem is just that you can build so many different versions of (lib)curl with features enabled/disbled...

> We have an automatic scan-system that scans for updates/versions on
> third-party sites (when they're not up-to-date already) so I want to have
> a fairly "fixed" design to allow it to work as good as possible
please send me some details about naming conventions, and I will try to meet that.

greets, Guen.